Trip Log: Team Allagash Ride Through History February 2016

Day One: Drive From Oceanside to Beverly Massachusetts Trip Log 1
We met up at Oceanside West and said goodbye to our parents. We started on the road with a card game called Mafia that was led by the leaders and had very loud conversations. We had a quick stop in Kennebunk and then drove to Beverly, Ma. We arrived at Project Adventure and were greeted by Abby who volunteered with Trekkers before. The location was very nice and it was designed by the same person who designed Central Park. Margaret’s cook crew made grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup while the rest of the team played games and drew. Once dinner was over, we played a game of Big Booty. After the game, we did journaling, shout outs, and quotes of the day. We then went to bed.
-Amanda “Panda” Chen

Day Two: Exploring BostonTrip Log 2
We had a very early wake up at 7. We got on the road and met up with one of the coolest tour guides, Jeremiah Poope. He was able to make everything he said very enjoyable. We visited the grave of John Hancock and Paul Revere, we visited the Omni Parker House, and saw the location of the Boston Massacre. After the wonderful tour, we stopped at Quincy Market and got to buy stuff for 2 hours. The place was amazing and we all split up into groups. Although everyone was in different groups, we all saw each other at least once because we all went to similar stores. After Quincy Market, we all went on the “t” to go to Mapparium, a 3-D globe. A few of us had never been on the t so it was an exciting experience for them. Some of us even fell?. Once we reached Mapparium, we entered a room that had the map of the world inscribed on the inside. When we whispered to each other in there, everybody on the other side could hear. Then we went back to Project Adventure. We had a while to play games, like Settlers of Catan and the Ouija board, which the guys purchased at Quincy Market. We had a great meal of mac and cheese prepared by Laken’s cook crew. We had played a hilarious and intense game of King Frog, journaled, quoted and had shoutouts.
Amanda “Panda” Chen

Day Three: Drive Day
We drove from Beverly, Ma to Moorsetown, NJ. The day was filled with many bus dances and games of Mafia. When everyone was awake, we blasted the Trekkers appropriate music and sang the song at the top of our lungs. We got to Mount Laurel YMCA and took showers. After leaving, we all went to Chipotle for dinner. Since the bus was getting a bit dirty, my cook crew went to the bus early to clean. To make us have more energy, Alaina played some upbeat music and we had an awesome dance party. The others got on to the bus and joined in. Once we reached the church, we were still having the dance party until we were told to go in. We stayed in the church’s basement and it was SO beautiful. The rooms were amazing and the common area was huge. That night we played Big Booty again, journaled, quoted, had shout outs and had a big smile while sleeping.
-Amanda “Panda” Chen
Trip Log 3Day Four: Exploring Philadelphia
We got to sleep in until nine, and then packed up and got on the bus. We headed to the National Constitution Center. We saw a short performance called Freedom Rising, and then wandered around in cook crews, all tasked with coming up with three trivia questions on what we learned there. After that, we ate lunch and walked over to see the Liberty Bell, then Independence Hall. We wandered around the city for a bit looking for Jim’s Steak for Philly cheese steaks before we finally found it. Most of us enjoyed them. When we got back to the church we played a game of “Who’s Your Daddy”, journaled, and then went to sleep.

Trip Log 4Day Five: Climbing the Rocky Steps and Volunteering in Philabundance
The eight o’clock wake up to a warm and humid day was a nice change from the bitter cold previously. We drove to the Rocky Steps and ran them in the warm rain. Someone took our pictures and then we waited for Alaina to come around and pick us up. By the time we got to Philabundance the rain had stopped. They had Dunkin Donuts and coffee waiting for us which was super nice and very much appreciated. They set us up in what they called “The Cabbage Room” which we soon found out was an accurate nickname. We peeled, sorted, and boxed cabbages for roughly four hours with a break in between. We danced and sang to music simultaneous to our cabbage sorting. At the end we found out we had sorted 6,085 pounds of cabbages! We hopped back on the bus with a huge thank you to Philabundance and then headed back to the church. We played a mixture of foosball, ping pong, and pool until dinner. Now everyone is doing yoga.

Day Six: Day 6 was a drive day. We left the First United Methodist church in NJ and trekked our way to DC. We arrived in DC and are staying at the St.Albans church here in DC. For dinner, Laken’s cook crew made spaghetti. We all did get to have a really amazing experience at the Labyrinth. We all walked the maze in silence and in reverence, all amazed by this wonderful experience. We went to sleep still awed by its beauty and the feeling it gave us.

Day Seven:Trip Log 5
The seven o’clock wake up brought us to a tour of the Capital Building. We were given headsets and got to observe the statues and listen to our tour guide. After browsing about the gift shop we walked to the Air and Space museum to eat lunch and wander. Simon says to include his apple slice story so I will: “Simon and I were in line at McDonalds to get me water. This lady turned around, asked if we were going to get McDonalds (which was a silly question) and we said yes. Then she proceeded to give us a voucher for a free drink and fries with an entree of our choice. I (Myla) didn’t use it and just got my water. Then Simon decided that he had to use it because it would be a waste. But we had already eaten lunch and he wasn’Trip Log 6t hungry. But he really wanted a free drink. So he used the voucher and ordered—” (Simon cuts in) “Okay so the dude there said that I have to get an entree with the apple and the drink (it comes with apples and a drink). So then I told him I only wanted the drink so he said that he has to order it with the entree but he’ll just cancel the entree for pickup. So when I went there she decided that because I only had the drink she would replace everything else with like five bags of apple slices. But sadly when we started to leave to explore the Air and Space museum there were no drinks allowed. So I only got to have one sip before I had to throw it out. Huge waste.” Thank you Simon and Myla for your story. So after the Air and Space museum, we walked to the Library of Congress. Our tour guide, Victor, was very helpful in terms of the amount of information he delivered. We got on the bus after that and drove to Ben’s Chili Bowl. The people there were very nice and friendly, and they showed us a video of civil rights history and the history of Ben’s Chilly Bowl. A man named Haraold Bell gave us an extremely inspiring speech and the food was delicious. We were proud to eat in the same place the president ate. It was dark by that time and we drove to see all the monuments. Myla and I referenced the Captain America movies while in close vicinity to the Washington Monument. It wasn’t too cold and it wasn’t too hot and it was beautiful out. We all felt so appreciative to be there. After visiting the Lincoln, Korean War, World War II, and Vietnam Memorials, we got on the bus and drove back to the church. We got home late and, after the usual quotes of the day and shout outs, went straight to bed.

Day Eight: On day eight we woke upTrip Log 7 to a very wonderful breakfast! We left the church at about eight o`clock headed to the wonderful and beautiful Arlington National Cemetery. At the cemetery we first went to the women’s tribute for being nurses in the war and more. After that we walked across the cemetery to see all the grave stones. We saw a lot of names that were Margarets on the grave stones. On our way we went to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and there was a guard watching over it to show respect. After we left and drove to the Holocaust Museum to learn about what the Nazis did to the Jews. Alaina assigned everyone each to write down a quote from the museum. One of my favorites is this by Elie Wiesel. “Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, that turned my life into one long night seven times sealed. Never shall I forget that smoke. Never shall I forget the small faces of the children whose bodies I saw transformed into smoke under a silent sky. Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever. Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live. Never shall I forget those things, even were I condemned to live as long as God himself. Never.” It was really truly powerful to me. After the museum, we went to the Martin Luther King Jr. Monument and we all took a group picture with MLK. After that we all walked over to the other side of the street to be picked up by Emily. We headed back to the church and had a wonderful dinner of pizza tortillas and a healthy salad. And to end the day, we did quotes of the day and shout outs!
– Amiah Marquis

Day Nine: Day Nine was a massive drive day, waking up at 6:30 to be able to get on the road fast enough. We had breakfast on the road, serving up Trekkers breakfast and going to Sheetz; I am ashamed of my breakfast consisting of a Hostess cherry pie, a Cinnabon, and donettes. The bus was pretty mellow until Emily pumped up the jams and Margaret dedicated songs to everyone. We learned a lot of new signs of ASL and hung out until we got to Connecticut. We food shopped and ate lunch at the bus while cook crew unloaded the groceries. We took the 5 minute drive to the church we were staying at and unloaded gear. I learned that I can box jump from the ground into the bus, so that’s cool. We enjoyed hot dogs for dinner while Jenny enjoyed her veggie dogs. That night we did Journal Pass, which took about 2 1/2 hours and after we shared our thoughtful quotes from each other. We enjoyed a fun bus day.

Day Ten: Alaina here! On our last morning, we left Connecticut early to head back to Maine. We were able to have lots of reflective conversations on the bus on the way home, as well as having some final bus jams and song dedications. After stopping at Kennebunk to wrap up with evaluations and some final bus cleaning, we headed back home to Oceanside West. We were greeted by some very excited families! A HUGE shout out to all of the fabulous leadership on this journey and to some amazing and brave Allagash students.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *